Take this into consideration when choosing an apartment. Most high-rise fires originate from the first four floors of the building, so evacuating from a high level internally can become more difficult.
- invest in smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and a fire blanket (they also make very thoughtful housewarming gifts!)
- empty your dryer lint after every load
- don’t store flammable items near your water heater (e.g. paint cans, cleaning products)
- plan at least two escape routes that don’t require an elevator
- don’t leave candles unattended
- don’t bbq/grill on a balcony/patio where the awning funnels the smoke directly into your home
- don’t put out kitchen fires with water